Referee Promotion

Safeguarding for Referees



We're here to support you.

If you are a referee seeking support with a DBS, please contact our Referee Development Manager, Ross Joyce or Safeguarding Officer Clair Shield directly on

If you are aged 16 or above and are officiating in youth football, you must have an in-date, FA Accepted, DBS Check. The step-by-step guide for referees to complete this can be found below.


safeguarding contacts

Designated Safeguarding Officer


T: 01642 717770

Referee Development Manager


Chief Executive




A child or young person may inform you directly that he or she is concerned about someone’s behaviour towards them or you may become aware, through your own observations or through a third party, of possible abuse occurring.

There are five ways to report a concern:

- To the Club Welfare Officer – please find out from the club who these people are

- To the County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer on

- By emailing The FA Safeguarding Team at or by calling and asking for the team on 0800 169 1863.

- If urgent and you cannot contact the club, league or County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer, you should call the NSPCC on 020 7825 2505 (Mon to Fri 9am–5pm) or anytime online

- If it is an emergency because a child or children are at immediate risk, then call the Police (999) or Children’s Social Care in your area.

Any adult or young person with concerns about a colleague’s conduct towards a child or young person can also use whistle-blowing by calling 0800 169 1863 and asking for The FA’s safeguarding team, or via email to

best practice and guidance

Safeguarding Directory

Top tips, templates and resources.