Referee Promotion

Safeguarding for Referees


We're here to support you.

If you are a referee seeking support with a CRC, please contact our Referee Development Manager, Ross Joyce directly on

If you are aged 16 or above and are officiating in youth football, you must have an in-date, FA Accepted, DBS Check. The step-by-step guide for referees to complete this can be found below.

safeguarding contacts

Designated Safeguarding Officer


T: 01642 717770

Referee Development Manager


Chief Executive



A child or young person may inform you directly that he or she is concerned about someone’s behaviour towards them or you may become aware, through your own observations or through a third party, of possible abuse occurring.

There are five ways to report a concern:

- To your Club Welfare Officer – please find out from your club who these people are

- To your County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer on

- By emailing The FA Safeguarding Team at or by calling and asking for the team on 0800 169 1863.

- If urgent and you cannot contact your club, league or County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer, you should call the NSPCC 24-hour helpline on 0808 800 5000

- If it is an emergency because a child or children are at immediate risk, then call the Police (999) or Children’s Social Care in your area.

Any adult or young person with concerns about a colleague’s conduct towards a child or young person can also use whistle-blowing by calling 0800 169 1863 and asking for The FA’s safeguarding team, or via email to

best practice and guidance

Safeguarding Directory

Top tips, templates and resources.